Thursday 3 March 2011

Elevator Pitch

Around 10,000 new children’s titles are published in the UK every year. In 2009, the UK market for children’s books was worth an estimated £776.1m at manufacturers selling price (msp). This is an increase of 4.1 % from previous year and an 18.6 % rise since 2005. Children’s books, including picture books account for more than a fifth of the total UK book market.


The scenario depicted here is that I get to meet with the Editor of a famous children's book publishing company. As the time span for an elevator pitch is very short, I am trying here to get my point across in as few words as possible.







Hello there, are you the Editor of Frances Lincoln Children’s Books ?

I am currently working around a brilliant idea which I would like to get published as a picture book for children under the ‘easy readers’ category.

There aren’t a lot many books available for the young readers, introducing them to the diverse cultures at a young age, giving them a chance to explore a different culture. My project focuses on introducing the festival of Onam, celebrated in the Indian state of Kerala.

I understand that your company is enthusiastic about promoting diversity in children’s fiction. If I have the backing of your publishing company, which is highly experienced and interested in diverse cultural projects, I see a great potential for my project with a minimum sales target of  3000-5000 copies. I am sure that this agreement would bring you considerable profits as well. 

Would you be interested in a follow up meeting? 

Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment